The Rise of Selfies has Increased Demand for Cosmetic Surgery
According to a study made by the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS), people have been so conscious about how they look that one in three surgeons surveyed saw a huge increase in the number of cosmetic procedure requests. This is said to be caused by the pressure of looking ‘beautiful’ in pictures they post on social media sites like Facebook and Instagram.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
With the growing demand for cosmetic surgery procedures, cosmetic surgeons now face the challenge of being visible to potential patients whenever they type in cosmetic surgery-related queries on the Internet.
Are you facing this opportunity?
Younger Patients are Trending. Women Still Take the Lead.
The same study revealed that more and more young people decide to undergo cosmetic surgery. In fact, more than half (58%) of the surveyed surgeons said that they saw an increase in cosmetic surgery or injectables for those under 30 — an indication of how social media platforms and selfies affect young people’s desire to look at their best.
Meanwhile, it was also found out that women still dominate the number of people relying on cosmetic surgery to improve their looks. According to the study, a total of 81% of all surgical and non-surgical procedures were done for women.
What are the Top Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
In the infographic, we looked at the data collected from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia to determine which cosmetic surgery procedures are the most popular for their citizens.
Here is the breakdown:
- Based on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Americans undergo breast augmentation the most, followed by rhinoplasty or nose job, eyelid surgery, liposuction and facelift.
- The International Society of Surgeons listed down breast augmentation, followed closely by lipoplasty or fat modeling, abdominoplasty or tummy tuck, eyelid surgery, and breast lift as the top cosmetic surgery procedures in Canada.
- The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons revealed the top five cosmetic surgery procedures in the UK which are: breast augmentation, eyelid surgery, facelift, breast reduction and rhinoplasty.
- According to the International Society of Plastic Surgeons, the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures in Australia are: breast augmentation, eyelid surgery, lipoplasty, rhinoplasty, and breast reduction.
Where Do Patients Get Information About Cosmetic Surgery?
A study released in 2014 show different sources of information used by patients to learn more about cosmetics surgery before contacting a professional. Here is the list:
- 60% — Online (Search Engines)
- 53% — Referrals / Info from friends
- 47% — Social Media
- 30% — Fashion / Celebrity Models
- 30% — Online Forums, Chat Rooms
- 29% — Local and National TV and Radio Programs
- 29% — Reality TV Shows
Potential Patients Use Search Engines to Find a Cosmetic Surgeon Practitioner like YOU
A study by Pew Research Center finds that 8 out of 10 patients began at a search engine such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo in search for a medical practitioner, such as a cosmetic surgeon.
And of the 74% of adults who use the Internet, 80% have looked online for information about health topics such as a specific disease, treatment, or procedure.
Thirty-four percent (34%) have read someone else’s commentary or experience about health topics such as cosmetic surgery procedures on an online news group, website or blog.
A growing number of Internet users (25%) have watched an online video about health or medical problems, such as cosmetic surgery.
Are you visible on search engines? Do you have raving fans and positive reviews online? Do you have online videos showcasing your expertise?
Your Potential Patients Use Smartphones to Find You
The usage of mobile devices is on the rise. In fact, fifty-two percent (52%) of smartphone owners gather health info and health-related services, such as cosmetic surgery procedures, on their phones – according to a study by Pew Research Center.
Is your website mobile-friendly? Does your website automatically adjust to size of the screen of any device – be it a PC, tablet or a smartphone?
Go ahead and Augment your Marketing with our Online Marketing Services
Fill out the form today or call us for an appointment. Our services will get the job done for you and we’ll give your cosmetic surgery practice the lift it needs.